Monday, April 1, 2013

White Crowns, Ruby Crowns, Yellow Crowns and a Great Roadrunner

No, it's not an April Fool's joke! We have been blessed with an amazing variety of visitors, and some rare pics for this birder. Enjoy this week's offering.

Our winter visitors, the White-crowned Sparrows, are still hanging around, and enjoying the sunflower seeds on the stone border.

 Some acrobatics from a quiet little leaf hopper, the Ruby-crowned Kinglet. My Sunday afternoon was made special by this close-up visit.

 He is so quick and active, yet paused a few times just so I could get some shots.

 Black toothpicks for legs!

A few times through the years I have actually seen the ruby crown, but only when he's excited.

While sitting on the porch and missing the ducks, I notice the Yellow-crowned Night Heron is on the pond. He spent the day walking the edge looking for those huge juicy crawdads.

 The Lesser Goldfinches and Pine Siskins keep me jumpin' to fill the thistle sock.

 We have a new batch of young ones that are pestering the parents for FOOD!


 The Black-chinned Hummingbird is diligently guarding the feeders.

 Are you looking at me?

 Once again I find the hummingbird using my make shift water feature. He flashes a little of his purple before he bends his head for a drink.


 The Guardian

My Carolina Jessamine is budding again, but this guy prefers RED!

 The Carolina Wrens are hauling in nest material.

 This Sparrow provided a nice composition in the tomato cages.

 I'll be glad to take any help on identifying this butterfly.

 The Lady Banks Rose is fading, but the Cardinal is not!

I find it fascinating that this butterfly has a similar color scheme to the Great Roadrunner featured below.

 We'll close with my April Fool's present. At the office, I heard the Mourning Dove, but different. It was the same tone, but descending, and 4 or 5 notes in a row. I bolted for the window, and there was a Roadrunner, walking from limb to limb in the oak trees down from the deck.

 He spent a lot of time out there, providing lots of picture opportunities. Finally we noticed that the big Rat Snake was back near the deck, and wondered if the Roadrunner had his eye on the snake.

He also created a clacking sound with his beak, not unlike the sound of a rattlesnake. This is the closest I've ever been to a Great Roadrunner, so it was a special treat. At one point, the Roadrunner was near the snake, and a Red-tailed Hawk came and circled a few times. We were forced to ask, what is going on here?

No comments: