Monday, April 29, 2013

Late April Catchup

What with our trek to the Frio, the posting of local pics went wanting, though the abundance of pics did not! Enjoy the variety of Spring visitors, newbies, babies, and varmints!

I arrived at the office one morning and was concentrating on the bird activity in the brush below the deck. I walked over and this caught my eye, and I almost had to run back home for a change of underwear! This raccoon obviously likes sleeping tucked into the beam trim underneath the office.

Another one of our favorite varmints, the black-headed squirrel. We call him 'Kirby', 'cause he vacuums up the trail mix.

 This curious fellow had me intrigued. A young Goldfinch all puffed up and moving slow around the deck. Even his flight seemed slow.

 He was preening and begging, and his mama came to give him a hard time.

She almost bit his tail before he took flight again.

Same day, different variety. A young Lesser Goldfinch, all puffed up and moving slow. The new life of Spring!

 This section is a continuation of our Thistle Wars theme. As long as the Pine Siskins are here, we'll have plenty of photo ops of the action around the feeder.

 Oh yeah?!!!!!

 Go find your own perch!

 That fellow on the lower right is quite acrobatic!

 Nice group picture. I have learned that the ones with a little bit of green on the back are the 'Green-back' variety! Well who woulda thought?


I have yet to catch much color on my hummingbirds, but I know it's all about 'time spent'.

A House Finch enjoying the water dish at the office deck.

One afternoon leaving the office, I heard the call of the Summer Tanager, something I rarely hear in our area. I followed it up the drive and was able to get this distant shot.

Some days later he showed up at the deck area, so I was able to get a little closer. His mate is nearby as well, so I'm hoping for more pics.

 This day was the first sighting of the Painted Bunting, and offered me the best lighting I've ever had to catch the colors of this bird.

Since then we've seen him just about every day at the office deck.

 The next day I spied my first at the house, and now have seen two males in my yard at the same time. This one is lookin' fluffy!

 The female Painted Bunting has been visiting the office deck as well.

She is really showing off her green!

 I saved these for last, because I have never seen an American Goldfinch in his full yellow glory at the office deck. He came one morning, the window was open, and the coffee went cold.


I can only agree with the Psalmist, God's glory is revealed in His Creation!

No comments: