Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Thistle Wars

I've been having fun experimenting with the shutter priority setting on my camera, so this is my first set of photos that grabs some of the action around the thistle feeder at the office. The contentious Goldfinches and Siskens provide a lot of material. Enjoy.

 I mentioned in an earlier post that we had a new batch of newbies that were buggin' their parents for food. Papa is saying, "OK, so if I give this to ya, will ya shut up?!"

I can attest, he did not shut up!

 Seeing less and less of the American Goldfinch.

 Obviously he can be pretty testy too!

 The Pine Sisken gets to watch the Lesser Goldfinches go after it.

 As the seed level drops, that upper orifice has less to offer, so this guy is hanging to eat out of the lower opening. Must have been somebody coming in.

 When I got the full sunlight, I could crank it down to 1/1600 of a second shutter speed.

 So don't mess with my thistle!

 Looks like a collision course to me!

I know it looks ominous, but it was just a 'pig' dove, trying to land on something it couldn't possibly benefit from. Maybe I just should have let you believe it was a hawk!

No comments: