Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring Garden Mix

The bird activity has been high as we expect with Spring, with many of our Winter visitors delaying their trip back north. Enjoy this week's offering of our Spring garden mix.

 He's a little blurry, but I couldn't resist posting this male Song Sparrow because of his Burnt Orange crown!

 His mate likes to stay close to the bushes, and sticks mostly to the ground for foraging for seed.

 This Phoebe is nesting on the beam on our back porch. She always flies when the back door opens. So that look says, 'Cool it, dude!'

Female Cardinal deciding on her next move...

 She launches, but I just catch the first split second.

The Red-shouldered Hawk was watching the pond and meadow.


 He takes off for stage right.


This shot shows up that red shoulder.

 Back at the office deck, the Scrub Jay hears that there are peanuts in the offing!


And cousin Blue Jay hears the same thing in my yard.

A rare shot of a White-crowned Sparrow at the office deck. He is as rare here as the Lesser Goldfinches are in my yard.

The male House Finch enjoying some fresh water at the office deck.

I am surprised every time I see the Red-breasted Nuthatch still in my yard.

We'll close with a hummingbird series. This poor fellow sought shelter at the office feeder that is under the eave. A rare rainy day in Central Texas.

 I've been playing with my settings trying to capture more stop-action.

 The Black-chinned Hummingbird at the porch.

 Always on guard.

 1/1600 of a second shutter speed with bright sunshine will get you this one.

Sometimes you don't need a fast shutter, just patience.

No comments: