Friday, April 26, 2013

Annual Frio Pilgrimage

Last weekend we made our annual Spring pilgrimage to the Frio to enjoy a refreshing time on the river, and see how many birds we can spy that we don't usually get to see. Enjoy this week's offering.

To set the background, we'll start at the 'sanctuary' on the East Frio north of Leakey at Camp Live Oak. I guess it would be appropriate to call it 'holy ground', even though it is a river!

 And when I first walked up on this spot, I was greeted by the Green Kingfisher. He was perched nearby and watching the river. Another Kingfisher flew by, and he gave a chatter to voice his warning. He then flew up river a bit to do some fishing.

This is what he looks like perched above the river looking for fish.

 This Eastern Bluebird was perched high in a tree near the river, overlooking a meadow.

 His mate was nearby.

 Sparrows are so many and varied, I have to really hunt them down in the book to get a proper i.d. I'll stick my neck out that this is a Lark Sparrow, seen in the brush at Camp Live Oak.

 I heard the distinctive call of a Tanager, but thought I was hearing a Summer Tanager. Turns out to be a Western Tanager, red head, yellow body.

 Later I spied a male and female Summer Tanager.

 I have actually heard this guy already this year at my office on Lake Travis. But on the Frio, just listen for their unique call.

Female Summer Tanager

 Back at the feeders at Butch and Joyce's, the hummingbirds provide a constant aerial ballet. Note that the Black-chinned male at the left is showing a little purple.

This Indigo Bunting was a regular visitor to the feeders at Camp Live Oak. I have also seen his cousin at the office at Lake Travis.

 Butch told me this guy would come and get a long drink; a Golden-fronted Woodpecker.

 First time encounter with a Yellow-breasted Chat. I had to read about him to figure it out, 'cause he is a large warbler that sings like a Mockingbird. Here his throat is puffed out as he sounds out his raucous, mechanical song.

 He was very elusive, staying on the other side of whatever bush I was approaching. But then he flew up to the top to sing his song.

 When I walk out into the pecan grove at Seven Bluff Cabins, I can count on seeing a Vermilion Flycatcher. I was not disappointed.

 He did make me chase him around a bit. 

 First time to spy an American Goldfinch at Seven Bluff.

 Some activity above drew my eye to this nest. It was about 15-20 feet off the ground, and mama was diligently sitting.

If I hadn't waited to hear her sing, I probably would not have been able to identify her. This is a Yellow-breasted Vireo, and her song gives her away. She ends each round with the word 'vireo'.
What a treat it was to spend time on the Frio, relaxing, visiting, and enjoying God's creation.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Love, love the pictures at the Frio. Brings back wonderful memories! Thank you, Wes, for sharing. Robin