Sunday, February 9, 2014

Some Winter Regulars

Yes, they are regulars, but still special! It is crazy how the 'familiarity breeds contempt' saying comes into play with the birds you see all the time. I know some folks would love to be able to look out their window and see 15 Northern Cardinals! The temps are warming up, so we expect to see travelers before long. Enjoy this week's offering.

We 'only' have a few Gadwalls as regulars on the pond right now. This pair was making some seasonal appropriate shapes with their reflections (turn your head to the right, you might see some hearts!)

 And this fellow has the right color scheme for Valentine's day! It was cold, and he came up on the table very close to the window for a pose.

 You can see the affect of the cold temps, puffy feathers!

 Just like the Cardinal, this Chipping Sparrow came up on the table right next to the glass where my camera lens awaited him.

 Hunkered down, chowin' down.

 The American Goldfinch at the thistle sock.

 Some kind of puffed up on this cold windy day.

The breezes were catching the feathers and ruffling them for this catch.

 Lesser Goldfinches staying faithful to the thistle tube feeder.

 But always contentious.

 Back at the house, I'm proud to show off my own contingent of Lesser Goldfinches. And they are still contentious!

 Saturday I put out a new peanutty suet cake, and it didn't take the Ladder-back long to come check it out!

Nice profile!

 Always faithful Chickadees, coming close for some sunflower seed.



 Grab it and run!


 I promise I did not click on some special effects for this pic, it just came out strange. I'm sure it had something to do with the direct sunlight and how the camera senses the image.

Say goodnight, my little chickadee!

No comments: