Sunday, February 2, 2014

January Revisited

It's pretty pitiful when one let's the entire month get away from one without posting on one's blog. I don't know who this 'one' is, but I sure wish they would get their act together!
It was an active month, so enjoy an overload of January bird pics.

 The Lesser Goldfinches have been very active at the office deck, and I have kept the thistle socks full. They also have a new Droll Yankee thistle feeder, and show their appreciation by providing me with lots of action photo-ops!



And you can imagine my excitement when a male and female showed up at my feeder off the porch. Hope was kindled that they would tell their friends and family!

That male can be very intimidating!


 The varmints are hard on my thistle feeders, but Droll Yankee is known for their durability.

 I'm looking for the day I capture when those beaks meet!

Fruit basket turnover! Everybody is headed somewhere.

 I keep cranking that shutter speed a little faster, hoping to freeze everything.

 Well-known ornithologist Lucy Sansom likened this composition to a ballet. I agree.

 Are they fighting over that thistle seed right in the middle?


It's always nice to see the American Goldfinch among the visitors, though we rarely get to see them in their summer garb. The specs on his head will turn to a solid black cap, and his bright yellow will cover everything else but his wing bars.

 The excitement is building at my porch, as these Lesser and American Goldfinches are visiting the sock out in the yard.

Who dat?

 At the office, when you hear the dove all scatter at once, there's a good chance a hawk is nearby. This Sharp-shinned Hawk paid a visit recently.

 Winter seems to bring the Mockingbird to the deck more often.

 The Scrub Jays have found us to be a dependable food source, so I think they are here to stay.

Caught him with a craw full of peanuts.

 Who're YEW lookin' at?


On the day I got to stay home 'cause of icy roads, the Spotted Towhee showed up at the yard.

 The call of multiple Red-shouldered Hawks came to me at the porch, so I had to go lookin'. One was high over head.

And the other was perched low, waiting for supper.

These Ladder-backed Woodpeckers were chasing around the yard one day.

Apparently they like to mix it up! Guess it's a territorial thing.

 Venturing out from the yard, I get to see the birds that won't come to a feeder, like the American Robin. They are out there!

 On the same trek I spied this Ruby-crowned Kinglet near the creek.

And we'll close this installment with the Cedar Waxwing, who likes the berries and hangs out high in the trees. We have been blessed with a variety of visitors this winter.

No comments: