Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Annual Frio Pilgrimage- Day One

Our trip to the Frio to greet the migrating birds was filled with the most incredible weather we have ever experienced in a Texas Spring. And the birding was just as excellent.

 Butch says this Golden-fronted Woodpecker is very bold around his porch-side feeders.

And a few steps down the path to the river holds a veritable forest of thistle flowers. This one is being explored by a couple of bees.

 I know the call of the White-eyed Vireo well enough to just sit down and wait it out.

 My patience paid off as it moved closer and closer, providing a better shot with each move.

 When it flew right at me and perched on a nearby limb, I realized its nest was about four feet above my head.

 The Green Kingfisher graced us with his presence down at the river.

 He was flying back and forth, then I realized that there were two of them.

 They positioned themselves on opposite sides of the river and had a stare-down.

 Checking out the water to see if there is something to dive for.

 He provided many photo ops.

 Caught the Ash-throated Flycatcher just leaving his perch.

Another call that is distinctive, the Summer Tanager. Only this guy was young, and hardly got all of his syllables out. But he still gave me a pose.

No comments: