Monday, September 30, 2013

Not Done Yet

I really thought the hummers were gone, but they are not quite through with us. So as long as someone is hanging around, we'll have a little sugar water in the feeder. Enjoy what will PROBABLY be our last hummingbird pics.

 I really do believe these are our parting shots at the office deck. Haven't seen any of these guys now for a few days. But the Ruby-throated hummers gave us some good final looks.

I'll give the feeders a good cleaning and put 'em away for next Spring.

I would like to believe that the abundance of flowering plants at the house is the reason we continue to see the hummers there. This female surprised me as she lit very close to where I was stationed.

The male Ruby-throats at the porch don't show themselves much, at least not to me.

This female was positioned at the Mexican sage, and not budging.

 Then another female came and they started both going after the blooms.

 Then one perched and gave the stink-eye to the other.

 And then took out after her.

 This weekend I believe I saw a hummer at almost every blooming plant in the yard. Here at the morning glories.

And at the volunteer lantana, with a little pollen on her snoot.



 And of course they can't resist Jan's zinnias! Who could?!

 That must be watermelon zinnia!

If this is farewell, it has been a VERY good year for hummers around our feeders!


No comments: