Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hummers, A Hawk, and Others at the House

Jan suggested I split this one; just too many shots of the hummingbirds at the house. Enjoy this installment, including a few butterflies.

 Late this day I kept seeing an extra bit of red flashing down at the end of the porch, and found this Rufous Hummingbird aggressively guarding the feeder.

I was loosing light, so tried the flash to capture some of his color. His rusty coloring is unmistakable.

Late sun caught this female Ruby-throat at the zinnias.

 It's a blurry shot, but shows the acrobatics these birds are capable of.

 Showing some iridescent green in that back.

This sunny afternoon gave me enough light to crank up the shutter speed 
and catch some action.

 The red really makes her glow.





 What can I say? GLORY!!

 Caught the big bird in the corner of my vision, as he flew down to the dry pond bed for a snack. Look close, those are frog legs hanging out of his beak!

 After downing his snack, he checked out his surroundings for a second.

 Then launched to the left.

 Not the greatest shot, but you see why he's named the 'Red-shouldered' hawk.

 He landed in the oak on the far side of our yard.

And stayed for a while, just checking things out.

 And just as the bright sun had afforded good light for the hummers, it did so for a couple of young Giant Swallow-tail butterflies as well.

 Posing nicely at each of the different colored zinnias.


 Then I realized they were going to do a duet for me, so I was firing away.


I say they are young because their wings look unscratched and complete.

 I waited all day for the Ruby-throated male to come to the zinnias, but he was just not cooperating. So I had to settle for this long-range shot.

This guy has his fall colors on, and we are ready. Just not ready to see him go.


No comments: