Sunday, June 3, 2012

Mid-Spring Mix

This week we get a mix of our Spring crew, and welcome a newcomer. The general activity level has been high, with a number of birds still calling from the woods that I haven't been able to photograph. Stay tuned, I will get my birds! Enjoy this week's offering.

You may see this guy a lot in the city, but we rarely spot him on the deck out at the office on Lake Travis. This is a Great-tailed Grackle, male.


Sometimes the morning sun on the eastern hummingbird feeder on my porch offers a nice lit-up hummer. The bonus here is that there are two there at the same time.


And I can count on the sprinkler on the lantana as a draw. The hummingbirds love the shower.


Obviously this Cardinal also loved the shower.


Male Northern Cardinal from my porch.


A family of Cardinals has been showing up at the drip by the Lady Banks Rose bush. Here is one of the young females.


Sisters checking out the seed at the rose bush.


Papa Cardinal chowing down at the moon-head feeder.


A returning visitor to the pond, the Yellow-crowned Night Heron.


Jan spotted him from the porch, landing on the fallen willow tree up the creek. This view may be blurry, but we get our first look at the yellow crown.


The Bluejays love my Sam's mix with all the peanuts. This family includes some young ones that are continuing to harass mom and dad for food!


I love the patterns in their feathers. A constant reminder that there isn't a design without a Designer!


The Texas Titmouse. Don't mess with these guys!


Back at the office deck water dish, the young Titmouse takes a bath, accompanied by a young House Finch.


The Painted Buntings continue to bless us with their presence. Caught this one at the office feeder.


This is one of the three males hanging around my porch. Easy to spot as he has a yellow bib that is unusual.


Missed a shot this morning of the male and female at the same time, but oh well. They'll be back.


Nothing more to say, just God's glory revealed in His creation.


And now for my Birds and Blooms section; my gold lantana that is brightening up the side yard.


I remember photos of Mom with a huge plumbago back-drop at the parsonage at Taft. Probably why periwinkle is one of my favorite colors.


And finally, the Victoria blue salvia, coming on strong.

No comments: