Monday, May 14, 2012

Babies Galore

This week's activity has been full of young birds hounding their parents for food. We also get a few surprises, and news from the porch that the Green Heron has returned, so we have the promise of future pics of him.  Enjoy this week's offering.

 The young female Lesser Goldfinches continue to frequent the thistle sock.


 A young Black-crested Titmouse. Like the other young birds, they follow mom and dad around fluttering their wings and whining!


 Dad House Finch feeding a young one.


 Notice the stance that says, 'Feed me!'


 No lack of House Finches at the office feeder.


 This Black-chinned Hummingbird is guarding the feeder at my porch.


 This young Chickadee was chasing mom and dad around.


 Back at my yard, the Chickadees have found the new feeder I hung up.


 This week's special surprise. I spied this Yellow Warbler down in the trees below the office deck. Last year he came near the deck and posed nicely. This may be as good as it gets this year.


 My favorite songbird, the Bewick's Wren, singing his song near my porch at the house.


 Not far away the Carolina Wren is feeding his babies in the church house. The chick peeping is growing stronger.


 The female Painted Bunting also found the new feeder. You will not see a greener bird in the wild in Central Texas.


 My special evening treat right now is having multiple Painted Buntings visiting the feeders. This one has a yellow breast patch that I haven't seen before. One evening there were 3 at one instant. That's unusual for us, so all the better.


 This guy is hanging around at the office feeder.


I even saw a male Painted Bunting that I thought might be young. He just wasn't very well-groomed, if you know what I mean!

No comments: