Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sure Signs of Spring

This Sunday morning we had our first hummingbird buzz the porch, so the feeders magically appeared. Since we are so close to March 21st, I take this as a sure sign of Spring. In truth, we still have some of our Winter visitors, but now we are looking forward all the more to our returning Summer regulars.

At the office deck, this Carolina Wren shows up now and again to pick up a few seeds. The Bewick's Wren has been serenading us at the home porch.


One of my favorites at the office feeders, the male Lesser Goldfinch. The bird guides indicate that to the west, the black-back is not as prominent as the green-back. I'm not sure, but some of my guys seem to appear more green-backed?

Then again, maybe he just doesn't have his full colors on!


We have never seen our place this green at this point in Spring, and the yard is full of butterflies checking out the wildflowers.

One of our Winter visitors, the Junco, enjoying my offering of seed on the stone patio.

All of the Ring-necked ducks except one female appeared to have left. Then one morning we spy a young duck on the pond, and think maybe this is the reason she was hanging around. Caught a shot of the diving action.

Apparently a young Ring-necked duck.

This is the female we are calling Mom!

The other single duck still hanging in there is this female Gadwall, with a snack.

I've been seeing some Myrtle Warblers around the porch at the house. This fellow was in the closest oak this morning, so I caught some pix. When I see little tufts of down sticking out, I figure it's a young'un.

One of our favs around the house, the Eastern Phoebe, checking out the yard for something to snack on.

I noticed last night that there is a new Phoebe nest on the back porch beam.

Trompin' through the woods with the grands last week, and we heard the familiar tap-tapping of a woodpecker. Looks like a Ladder-backed goin' after some bugs.

I heard a familiar woodpecker call from a nearby tree at my porch. Just was able to get a back-side shot of a Red-bellied Woodpecker.

So we'll close by welcoming our first hummingbird of the season, a Black-chinned male. So far he has shown no desire to light on the feeder while eating, so he may just be passin' through.

No comments: