Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Quiet Season

I'm always amazed at how the Autumn brings on a stillness that is incredible. But even that will eventually be broken by a chirp or a call. And then it's like they all wake up and remember there is a reason to head for my feeders! Enjoy the remaining hummer, a winter regular back in the yard, and some butterflies that think it's Spring.
Oh, and I must mention that my old faithful Nikon D40X croaked last Saturday. So you are seeing the first results of my new (to me) Nikon D3100. I'm determined to learn to use this amazing tool to its potential!

 Titmouse at the office feeder.

 Female Lesser Goldfinch and a fly leaving the thistle sock.

Female Lesser Goldfinch at the office deck.

 Amazed every day that I walk out in the morning and this young male Rufous Hummingbird is still in my yard.

 Had enough sunlight, and Jan's zinnias think it's Spring.


He seems to like the zinnias and the Mexican sage, so we'll be watching as long as he'll hang around.

 And the Sulfur butterflies were active in the yard, this one on an impatien.

 They are the only ones I have seen go to the morning glories.

 Gotta go deep!

 Sulfur butterfly on a zinnia.

 This guy was not partial, wanting to try all the blooming plants.

 Did someone turn a light on in that morning glory?

 The swallowtail was checking out all the zinnias too.



First time sighting of this guy, a Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly.

 Another noise that breaks the seasonal silence, wild turkeys across the pond. I'm working on getting a closer shot.

And we'll close with a returning Winter regular, the White-crowned Sparrow.


No comments: