Sunday, August 4, 2013

Mid-Summer Buntings, Hummers and Bugs

The summer heat is hard upon us, so the daily watering and babying the plants is taking up a lot of our time. This week's offering includes a treat from the Painted Bunting, hanging around the feeder one day at the office and fighting for his place with the House Finches. I've also been learning about dragon flies. They're called 'skimmers'! Who woulda known?

 Hummingbird feeder in the full sun at the office, and the opportunity to get some high-speed shots. This girl is changing directions.

And then on the other side.

This sunny afternoon at the house I didn't get the setting changed on the camera, so the wings are still blurry.

 Sun was going down, but I waited her out. She finally came around to the zinnias.

 I was hoping to catch a shot between the yellow and red zinnias.

She was determined to try them all out.

 The thistle sock at the office is still a popular spot with the Lesser Goldfinches.

And they are still competing for their place on the sock.

This guy surprised me today at the porch. It's been a long time since a Lesser Goldfinch has shown up in my yard.

The dragon flies have been visiting the yard. This one is a Common White Tail, or Long Tail Skimmer.

 This one must be related, but it is a Blue Widow Skimmer.

One I had never seen before, a Roseate Skimmer. Cool.

 The Swallow-tail Butterfly visiting Jan's zinnias.

This one was huge, checking out the lantana.

Our friend and owner of Camp Live Oak in Leakey, Butch Weston, gave us this succulent on our last visit. Didn't tell me it would bloom. Surprised by this guy today. Find out it's the 'carrion plant', and attracts flies! That's ok, still nice to have any thing blooming.

 At the office we were visited by this female Painted Bunting, with a little bit of her own hue.

 Another female with her own tint of green.


 The male Painted Bunting came in and was spending quite a bit of time at the feeder.

 To the point he established his perch and didn't want to budge.

 He ended up spending quite a bit of time contending for his place at the feeder with the House Finches.

 Back off, Jack!

 Ain't budgin'!

 My turn!


Move over, buddy!

I really do work at keeping the feeder full, but once he got going, I wasn't going to interrupt that photo shoot. I like to just stare at this guy.

No comments: