Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Garden Variety with a Few Specialties

This week's offering includes a wide variety of backyard visitors, with a few rare sightings to boot. Enjoy my garden variety.

 This is the young Ladder-backed Woodpecker that has been making himself heard around the yard. He's the one that was pecking on a steel T-post last time.

I'm encouraged that he seems to be sticking to the limbs.

Caught the White-eyed Vireo snacking on the hackberry tree. I always wondered what those hackberries might be good for!

This female White-eyed Vireo came to the office window. Her mate is very vocal out there, but I haven't been able to get a look at him.

The Red-winged Blackbird is also very vocal.

 I finally caught him showing off his red.


 Here's a few shots of the Finch Wars.

 Mama's not happy!

 The female Lesser Goldfinch wants to mix it up with the lady House Finches.



 This late afternoon the doe and her fawn came walking out into the meadow beyond the pond.

 Baby was doing a good job of keeping up with Mom.

 Mom paused to do a little doting.

 The Green Heron noticed the activity, and strained to take a look.

 Then mama noticed me and started prancing and stamping and snorting.

 I see these guys every day on the power lines on the county road, but have never been able to get a pic. This one was hanging out close to where I took a short cut, so I paused, rolled down my window, and fired off a few. A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.

 The Carolina Wrens have another batch hatched on the porch, and are ferrying in the goodies to strengthen them up.

 It is funny how their song alters with the bug in mouth.

 Coming out after making a delivery.

 Taking a bath break.

I'm thinking these guys really help me with the bug control.

 My favorite songster, the Bewick's Wren. Longer tail and not so rusty as the Carolina Wren.

 The Chickadees were attending church today.

 Their colors always remind me of the scene from 'My Fair Lady', get me to the church on time!

The female Cardinal coming for evening vespers.

 This young Chickadee was behaving strangely at the office deck.

Jan is convinced it just wanted to warm up. It was fine, and eventually flew off.

 The Black-chinned Hummingbird at the porch.

 A female Black-chinned.

 Caught with a little back light.


 This is the story of a late afternoon surprise visit by a family of Yellow-crowned Night Herons.

 After surprising me by landing in the tree near my porch, Daddy flies down to the pond and Junior follows.

 Dad was really showing his crown.

 Junior quickly got busy looking for supper.

And I was wondering where Mom was, when I spied her on the far shore watching her family.

The previous day Papa had offered me this pose.

 We'll close with one of those special encounters, which I seem to be blessed with abundantly. This Golden-cheeked Warbler showed up one afternoon, and spent a little time hopping around the limb and giving me the once-over.

His colors indicate youth, they are a little under-developed. So that makes it even more special! Glory! 

No comments: