Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Buchanan Birds and a Bunch of Juvies

I got to spend some blessed time at Darwin and Nelda's place on Lake Buchanan, so part of this week's offering is some of their bird population. I also offer up a slew of young'uns that are abundant right now. Enjoy.

Sunrise on the lake found this Carolina Wren searching among the rocks for some breakfast. I just happened to catch him in 'mid-hop'.

Darwin was pretty excited when he told me that the Purple Martins were back after an extended absence. He offers quite the living space with his Martin condos.

 This female Purple Martin spent a long time preening. Just sayin'...

 The male was checking out the housing availability.

 As he perched at the entry, she was giving him the 'honey-do' list.

 Here he is coming in for the landing.


More 'honey-do' list directions.

 In the yard, a very young Mockingird, making quite a racket.

 Mama and Daddy were nearby, and I fully expected them to give me a peck on the head if I got any closer.

The hummingbird feeders are always full. Thanks Darwin and Nelda, for always making your guests feel welcome!

 Back on the porch, a rare visitor to my yard. A Scrub Jay checking out my feeder.

He decided that the ground offering was just fine.

At the office deck, the Lesser Goldfinches are lined up at the breakfast buffet.

 This incoming male gave me a good pose for the bird in flight selection.

These two juvies have been hounding their daddy all over the deck.

 Two of these Painted Buntings are now frequenting one of my feeders at the house every evening.

 And they bring this young female with them.


She's showin' off her green.

 Happy to announce the Green Heron is back, and seems to be staying. Stay tuned for more shots of this one.

 This young Carolina Wren was hanging around the office deck, checking out the action.



 Givin' me the hairy eye-ball.

 I've been training the camera on the feeder that the House Finches use, so I'll have to expand my photo series to 'Finch Wars'.

 The House Finches have been quite abundant lately, with lots of young ones peeping for food.

 A few hummingbird shots at the porch.

 Their activity is up as well, and I've had a few times with 3 or more at the feeder at once. That's a big deal at my porch!

We'll close with one more juvie; the young Titmouse in the act of harassing maw and paw.

No comments: