Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring Frio Pilgrimage


We headed for the Frio last weekend, and are never disappointed with the results. Even if Papa Wes sees NO birds, it would still be a restful and rejuvenating time for us.

 We are greeted at the office/home of Butch and Joyce Weston of Camp Live Oak north of Leakey, by the hummingbird feeders covered over with hummers. Joyce mentioned that their count was down, and the birds were just not going through the bird seed as quickly as years past. I was undaunted!

 First morning I headed down to my sanctuary spot on the East Frio branch. I soon heard the call of the Summer Tanager, and spotted him up in the branches of the cypress. (You'll see a better picture later, taken some years ago.)

 I heard a call I didn't recognize coming from the flood plain area below the cabins. On investigation, I spied this Blue Grosbeak. Sorry about the picture quality. I'll see if I can find another pic that's better quality.

 Hiking along a trail I heard a mama wren chattering, and paused to check out the action. Mom was concerned about Junior, a baby Carolina Wren, resting on the branch. Eventually he flew across the path to another larger tree/brushy area, and mom seemed to be relieved.

 One of my Frio spots is Neals, whether it's for supper at the Cafe, or a hike to the 'cattle guard' feeding station behind the store. This time I noticed some activity at the loaded-up loquat tree behind the store. A couple of Golden-fronted Woodpeckers were going after the fruit. This one then flew over to the oak tree by the road.

 My other 'can't miss' stop is Seven Bluff Cabins on River Road at what we always called 'second crossing', but seems some may consider it 'third crossing'. I can step from Frio Fergie's store porch into the pecan orchard, and immediately spy this Vermillion Flycatcher. (I promise a better view later in this post.)

 In the same orchard I hear the Golden-fronted Woodpecker above.

 A few steps over and this Eastern Bluebird lands. I give chase and get one more shot.


Here is my Frio Sanctuary at Camp Live Oak. There is no man-made chapel or cathedral that can match the beauty of this sanctuary. Holy ground!

The first time I was in the pecan grove at Seven Bluff, I got this shot of the Summer Tanager. I was hooked.

 Butch and Joyce Weston, our gracious hosts at Camp Live Oak.

 Back at Seven Bluff Cabins pecan grove, the Hooded Orioles were frolicking and giving chase around the grounds.

A better pic of the Vermillion Flycatcher at Seven Bluff. I only see this fellow at the Frio. It's that time of year, and you may still have time to head for the Frio for a nice variety of God's glory revealed in His creation.

No comments: