Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mid-Winter Mix

We have been enjoying a high level of general bird activity, some new visitors to the pond, and the hope of some Goldfinches hanging around. Enjoy this week's offering.
The Goldfinch activity has been high, so I put out a thistle sock in addition to the tube feeder at the office. The American Goldfinches are more numerous this year, so I'm hoping that we get to see them mature into their full golden glory through the summer. Stay tuned.

The Yellow-rumped Warbler has been busy around the deck at the office. (He prefers to be referred to as the Myrtle Warbler!)

He can strike a regal pose.

I spread seed at the base of the Lady Banks Rose, and always draw a crowd of Cardinals, Sparrows, and even Spotted Towhees!

One morning the pond was full of male and female Norther Shovelers. The picture quality is poor, but at least you get some indication of the colors of the male Shoveler.


So I'm getting into my car at HEB, and there in front of me is Grackle just too close to resist the opportunity, since I happened to have the camera with me. Not my favorite, yet still an amazing creation of God.

A male House Finch at the office. They are plentiful in our yard as well.

This day I got my camo-blanket on and posed as a big bush close to the Lady Banks. The White-crowned Sparrows stage in the bush near by and come out to feed. This is a female of the species.

Male White-crowned Sparrow.

Immature male White-crowned Sparrow. (No comments allowed; I know some of you think that is a redundant name!)

The common Field Sparrow. Dan will be interested to know that the look-alike American Tree Sparrow does not come this far south.


They are really not common in our neighborhood!

The male Lesser Goldfinch, nervously checking his backside.

The female Lesser Goldfinch.

Right now I think they would fill up every feeder I can hang out.


Sloppy eater!

When the other feeders are low, all kinds of birds come to the thistle feeder.


Pretty sure that the amount of small bird activity on the office deck attracted this Red-Tailed Hawk. He circled quite a few times. I happened to be standing at the open window, and just leaned out and tried to fire off as many shots as I could.

No comments: